Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology at KU
The Ph.D. in counseling psychology at the University of Kansas was established in 1955, and the program trains generalists who are able to engage in a variety activities ranging from clinical treatment to academic research. Reflecting a "scientist-practitioner" model, the curriculum prepares clinicians who apply the best and most current theory and research to their practice, and academicians who are grounded in the realities of practice. Although preparing students to be able to assess and treat the full range of disorders that psychologists address, our emphasis as counseling psychologists is upon personal, social, and career development of the whole person, and upon enhancing the environments in which people learn and work.
Students learn to critically evaluate major approaches, to evaluate, design, and conduct research, and gain clinical experience working with people of diverse cultural backgrounds and worldviews. The program, which includes a required internship in professional psychology, is intended for full-time students, and generally is completed in five to six years.
Benefits of the program include:
- Program Reputation - KU’s Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology is offered through the KU School of Education, which was recently ranked 8th in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Public Education Schools.
- Full-time Faculty - Highly productive & internationally visible leaders in the field of counseling psychology.
- Focus on Diversity - A premier learning and research institution committed to full participation of previously excluded or neglected classes of people on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, and status as a veteran. Learn more about KU's Office of Diversity & Equity.
- APA Accredited - The Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology at KU was first accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the American Psychological Association* in 1955.
- Vibrant Campus Environment - In the heart of the United States, the city of Lawrence revolves around the University and its students.