Master's Degree in Counseling Psychology at KU
The master's degree in counseling psychology at the University of Kansas prepares individuals aspiring to work as counselors or in counseling-related fields or those hoping to proceed on into doctoral training. The program curriculum provides a broad and general introduction to counseling psychology theory, research and clinical practice. The program includes a required practicum in a counseling setting, generally in the northeast Kansas or Kansas City metropolitan areas. Students enrolled full-time can typically complete the program in two years but it can also be completed on a part-time basis. Our program faculty give priority to mentoring and training the next generation of multiculturally competent counselors.
Benefits of the program include:
- Program Reputation - KU’s Master's degree in Counseling Psychology is offered through the KU School of Education, which was recently ranked 8th in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Public Education Schools.
- Full-time Faculty - Highly productive & internationally visible leaders in the field of counseling psychology.
- Preparation for Doctoral Studies - Program curriculum offers students a Ph.D. aspirant track for those who may consider pursuing a doctoral program after graduation.
- Dual Programming - Upon completion of the program, graduates will have achieved both an Master's degree in Counseling Psychology and also have satisfied the requirements for the LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) in Kansas. It's a two-for-one degree at KU!
- Focus on Diversity - A premier learning and research institution committed to full participation of previously excluded or neglected classes of people on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, and status as a veteran. Learn more about KU's Office of Diversity & Equity.
- Specialized Accreditation - The Counseling Psychology Master's degree program is currently seeking MPCAC accreditation.
- Vibrant Campus Environment - In the heart of the United States, the city of Lawrence revolves around the University and its students.